Category Archives: Uncategorized
FEW PLANT-DERIVED DRUGS
- Analgesics: Aspirin: Salix species Morphine, Codeine;Papaver somniferum
- Cardiotonic: Digitalin: Digitalis purpurea
- Malaria: Quinine: Cinchona spp Artemsinin: Artemisia annua
- Antihypertensive: Reserpine: Rauwolfia serpentina
- Memory enhancement: Physostigmine: Physostigma venenosum
- Muscle relaxant: Tubocurarine:Chondrodendron spp
PLANT-DERIVED ANTICANCER DRUGS IN CLINICAL USE OR DEVELOPMENT
• Vinblastine/Vincristine: Catharanthus roseus
- Etoposide: Podophyllum species
- Paclitaxel/Docetaxel: Taxus species
- Topotecan/Irinotecan: Camptotheca acuminata
- Homoharringtonine: Cephalotaxus harringtonia
- Flavopiridol: Synthetic based on rohutikine
- Combretastatins: Combretum caffrum
And many more.
We can’t eat the plant as a whole or even eat the plant as some are toxic in order to get the effect of these drugs.
Three main process involved in making of drugs are
Of the bioactive compounds in the plant. And this isn’t a easy process. Below in the comment section is a link where you can find the details.
Each extract is studied under the following headings
- drug composition and properties,
•synthesis and drug design,
•molecular and cellular mechanisms,
•signal transduction/cellular communication, •molecular diagnostics,
•chemical biology therapy
• antipathogenic capabilities.
Every drug has to be reviewed with its
* Pharmacodynamic (effect of drug on body)
*Pharmacokinetics (effect on drug by our body)
Each and every drug must be delivered at the right dose / concentration/ ratio etc etc
And this can’t be achieved by preparing nilavembu kashayam or papaya leaf extract at home.
Home preparation doesn’t provide you the active compound in this right way.
BANANA – Very interesting FACTS
This is interesting. After reading this, you’ll never look at a banana in the same way again.
Bananas contain three natural sugars – sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.
Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world’s leading athletes.
But energy isn’t the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.
According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.
Forget the pills – eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.
High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.
Many other cultures see bananas as a ‘cooling’ fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.
So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has FOUR TIMES the protein, TWICE the carbohydrate, THREE TIMES the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals.. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, ‘A BANANA a day keeps the doctor away!’
PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the time
15 Health Benefits of Grapes Juice..!!!
1) Flavonoids found in grape juice raise the level of HDL (good)
cholesterol. This prevents blockage of arteries and the heart remains healthy.
2) Resveratrol found in grape juice prevents the formation of tumors
in the body. So this prevents cancer. Purple-colored grape juice
prevents breast cancer.
3) By drinking this juice, the levels of nitric oxide is increased in the
body which reduces the formation of clots in blood vessels. This reduces chances of heart attacks.
4) Drinking grape juice daily helps in lowering blood pressure.
5) Grape juice has anti-aging properties and it also helps to
6) Antioxidants present in grape juicerepair damaged cells and
also prevent them from further damage.
7) Cough and acidity remain away from the person who drinks
grape juice regularly.
Taking grape juice in the morning without sugar helpsin curing migraine. It is a good home remedy for migraine.
9) Grape juice cures blood disorders and is a very good purifier of blood. Itflushes out harmful toxins from the body.
10) Grape juice also cures constipation problem as it acts as a good laxative.
11) Red colored grape juice has strong antiviral and antibacterial properties. So it saves from different infections.
12) Grape juice has been foundto be very effective in asthma treatment due to its eminent therapeutic value.
13) Antioxidants present in grape juice can help in preventing aging
related problems like Alzheimer’s disease.
14) The purple grape juice helps in fighting atherosclerosis .
15) Antioxidants present in grape juice boost the immune system.