Category Archives: Ramzan/Ramadan
What is Ramzan/Ramadan?
RAMZAN EID RECIPE
Muslims all over the world celebrate Ramzan Id also called Id-Ul-Fitr with great jubilation on the first day of the Islamic month Shawwal. This day marks the end of Ramadan, the 9th month of the Islamic calendar, in which the Holy Quran was revealed to Prophet Mohammed. Since the Islamic calendar is based on the moon, the month of Ramzan falls at different times each year. Muslims spend the whole month of Ramadan in fasting and penance. No food or drink is taken from sunrise to sunset on each day of the month. The completion of the month-long fast is determined by the appearance of the new moon, and is celebrated with enthusiasm as Id-Ul-Fitr, which means ‘the fast is over‘. In India, this Id is also called Mithi Id. The month-long fast culminating in this Id spreads a feeling of brotherhood. Muslims wear new clothes on this day, exchange gifts, participate in great fairs and watch stunning fireworks displays.
Top ramzan recipes
|| Badami Gosht
Nawabi Mutton Biryani
Murgh Do Piaza
Shahi Rogan Josh
CHICKEN KORMA RECIPE
Chicken korma recipe is a muglai speciality. Chicken korma curry has pieces of boneless chicken cooked with almond sauce and spices and garnished with roasted almonds.
Serves : 2
Cooking time : 30 mins
|400 gms chicken breasts, chopped in big pieces
1 tblsp ground almonds
1 tblsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
1 tsp garlic paste
2-3 oil or clarified butter(ghee)
1 medium size onion, chopped finely
1/4 tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
150 ml curd (dahi)
2 green chillies
4 pods cardammom
2 medium size cinnamon sticks
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tblsp chopped green coriander
1/2 tblsp roasted chopped almonds
Salt to taste
How to make chicken korma:
- Marinate the chicken pieces with lemon juice, pinch of salt, black pepper and garlic paste. Rub the mixture thoroughly to the pieces and keep it aside for 1/2 an hour.
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat the oil/ghee and when it is medium hot add the chopped onions and turmeric.
- Fry till the onions are light golden and then take them out and keep aside. Leave the oil behind for further use.
- In a mixer make a fine paste of fried onions, curd, almonds, green chillies. Pour this mixture on the marinated chicken pieces.
- Now reheat the oil in the pan on medium flame and then add cardammom, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf. Stir them for 30 secs and then add the marinated chicken along with leftover paste.
- Let the chicken cook on low flame while stirring occasionally till it boils. Then cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer till the chicken is cooked properly.
- Finally add garam masala and chopped green coriander.
- Add the salt according to taste and garnish with roasted almonds and some cream
CHICKEN SHASHLIK RECIPE
Chicken shashlik is a very popular chicken recipe. Chicken pieces are weaved on skewers and then either they are fried or grilled on on hot charcoal. Here is a very simple chicken shashlik recipe.
Serves : 3
Cooking time : 40 mins
|500 gms boneless chicken breast
2 medium onions
2 medium tomatoes
1/4 cups lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp Soya sauce
1 tbsp hot sauce
oil for deep frying
How to make chicken shashlik:
- Cut chicken into 1 ” pieces.
- Put in a round dish with the lemon juice, salt ,black pepper, soya sauce and hot sauce.
- Mix well,cover and leave to marinate for 2-3 hours.
- Cut the onion, capsicum, and tomatoes into small cubes.
- Skew chicken and vegetables closely on bamboo skewers.
- Heat up oil in a big size frying pot or karahi.
- Fry skewers for 8-10 minutes or until chicken begin to change its color and the vegetables are soft.
- Take off from oil and put it on absorbent paper.
- Or you can grill the chicken over hot charcoal.
- Decorate with lemon pieces and mint leaves.
- Serve the chicken shaslik hot with mint chutney.
CHICKEN JALFREZI RECIPE
2 cloves garlic (lasan) chopped
750 gms skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut in half
3 tsp ground turmeric
1 onion (pyaj) finely grated
1teaspoon red chilli (lal mirch) powder
1teaspoon salt (namak)
500 gms chopped tomatoes (tamatar)
30 gms ghee
3tsp ground cumin (jeera)
3 tsp ground coriander
2 tblsp grated fresh ginger (adrak)
30 gms fresh coriander leaves roughly chopped oil (tel) for cooking
How to make chicken jalfrezi:
- Heat up about 2 tblsp oil in a deep frying pot and fry the onion and garlic for 2 minutes over high flame heat.
- Mix in the chicken, turmeric, chili powder and salt. Fry gently for 5-10 minutes or until golden
- Turn the chicken frequently.
- Mix in the tomatoes, cover and stir fry over medium heat up for 20 minutes. Uncover and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for 10 minutes to let all the excess liquid evaporate and the sauce thicken.
- Mix in the ghee or oil, cumin, ground coriander, ginger and fresh coriander and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for 5-7 minutes or until the fat separates out from the thick sauce.
- Serve the chicken pieces with the sauce.
Egg Korma Recipe
Egg Korma recipe is a tongue tantilizing dish. Boiled eggs and served with the korma curry.
Onions 2 medium
Milk 1/4 cup
Cashewnuts 2 tbsps.
Green Chillies 5
Coconut (scraped) 1 tbsp.
Coriander Powder 1 tbsp.
Cinnamon 1 inch
Green Cardamoms 2
Ginger 1 inch
Vegetable Fat (ghee) 3 tbsps.
Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp.
Salt to taste
Coriander Leaves 1 tbsp
How to make egg korma:
- Peel and chop the onions. Peel and chop the ginger. Chop the cashew nuts. Wash and chop the green chillies. Clean, wash and chop the coriander leaves.
- Grind together the green chillies, scraped coconut, coriander powder, cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and turmeric powder.
- Break the eggs, separate the whites from the yolks into a bowl and beat the egg whites till stiff. Add the egg yolks and milk to the egg white mixture and salt to taste.
- Beat the mixture again for ten minutes and place the egg mixture bowl into a large vessel containing a little water and boil till the egg is set.
- Turn out the egg and cut into cubes.
- Heat ghee in a saucepan and fry the chopped cashew nuts till golden brown. Drain and keep aside.
- In the same ghee add sliced onions and fry till the onions turn light brown. Add the ground masala and fry till the ghee floats to the top.
- Add half a cup of water and bring to a boil. Then add the egg cubes and cook gently till the korma thickens.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or paranthas and chutney.
DUM PUKHT RECIPE
3 cups water
1 cup curd (dahi)
1/2 cup regular atta (dough)
salt (namak) to taste
2 tblsp oil (tel)
1/2 kg mutton
2-3 green cardamoms
1 tsp jeera
2 pods garlic (lasan)
1 black cardamom
1/2 cup corriander leaves
1-6 green chillies
4 cloves (lavang)
1 inch piece ginger (adrak)
6 black pepper (kali mirch) corns
1/4 cup mint (pudina) leaves
1/2 onion (pyaj)
How to make dum pukht:
- Mix completely mutton, curd and salt and keep aside
- In a mixer grind the marinate till it forms a fine paste.
- Mix the paste with the marinated mutton.
- Put in freezer for 6-8 hours
- Heat up oil in a thick-bottomed pan.
- Mix in marinated mutton and stir fry on a slow flame for 10 minutes or till the oil leaves the masala.
- Mix in the water.
- Cover the pot with a lid.
- Seal with aata and stir fry for 45 minutes on a slow flame or till steam comes out of cracks in the aata.
- Cut off the aata and serve with nan.
GINGER CHICKEN RECIPE
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder 1/4 tsp turmeric (haldi) 1/2 cup oil (tel) 1 tblsp lemon juice 1 tblsp garlic (lasan) paste 3 tblsp fresh coriander leaves. chopped 3 medium tomatoes, chopped 3 tblsp yogurt, whisked 3 tblsp ginger, cut into thin strips 1 tsp chat masala 1 small onion, thinly sliced 1 tsp garam masala 1 kg boneless chicken breast, cut into small cubes 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania powder) 1 1/2 tsp salt (namak) 1 tblsp ginger (adrak) paste 2-4 green chillies, thinly sliced
How to make ginger chicken:
Heat up oil in a heavy based pot over medium heat. Mix in the onions and stir fry until soft or for about 2 minutes. Mix in ginger and garlic, stir fry about 2 minutes. Stirring constantly. (mix in little water if the mixture sticks to the bottom of the pan). Mix in chicken and fry until the water from chicken is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Mix in chili powder, turmeric, salt and coriander powder. Fry 1 minute, then mix in tomatoes and stirring constantly, fry the mixture for about 5 minutes, or tomatoes are reduced to a pulp. Mix in yogurt and fry for few more minutes, stirring constantly, about 4 minutes. mix in a little water, if necessary, to avoid the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan. keep frying until the oil begins to separate. Add lemon juice, ginger, chat masala garam masala, coriander leave and green chilies. Stir once, cover and stir fry for 3 minutes over low heat. Serve hot.