Category Archives: Give Your Gmail Account A Bullet Proof Security
Give Your Gmail Account A Bullet Proof Security By EnablingGoogle’s 2-Step Verification ” Step By Step Guide
Every one of us have email accountswhich contains both sensitive and personal information. Imagine if one dayyou try to log-in to your account and couldn’t do it so. That’s the worstthing that any one of us can even think of (or may be most of us havealready faced such situation for once). To avoid such thing we should takenecessary steps to make our information as much secured as possible.And to do that, Google hasoffered a 2-step verification system, which is a bullet proof securitything for your GMAIL accounts and i recommend every user to enable this optionimmediately after reading the details and step by step guide below.
How This SecurityWorks
Once you enable 2-step verification, you’ll seean extra page that prompts you for a code when you sign in to your account.After entering your password, Google will call you with the code, send you aSMS message or give you the choice to generate the code for yourself using amobile application on your Android, BlackBerry or iPhone device. The choice isup to you. When you enter this code after correctly submitting your passwordwe’ll have a pretty good idea that the person signing in is actuallyyou.
What Is The Idea Behind This NewSecurity
if someone manages to guess or crack your password, he won’tbe able to login to your account unless he enters the second verification codeas well, which was sent to your mobile.
What Are TheWorries
a. You will have to spend some more time to log-in andverifying your identity by entering the verification code sent to your mobile.The verification code can be remembered for 30 days on a specificcomputer so that it only needs to be entered again once the 30 days are over.
b. If you lose your phone then you can’t log-in to youraccount as well. Don’t worry, during the 2-step verificationprocess, it will ask you to add a backup phone to your account and willalso generate some backup codes that you can use in suchsituations.
c. You need to have your phone with you when ever you want toaccess your Google Account.
How To Enable 2-stepVerification
1. Open your œAccountPage and you will see this option under PersonalSettings
2. Click on the œUsing 2-step verificationlink and it may ask you to enter your Gmail account password
3. After that you will see the 2-step verification setup page.Click the button œSet up 2-step verification
4. Now you have to decide, how you want to setup thisverification. There are three ways to let Google send the two step verificationcode to you:
- Using the Google Authenticator App for Android, BlackBerry or iPhone. (you have to install an Appon your phone which generates the code for your account)
- Sending an SMS message, works with any mobile phone and notjust smartphones. A voice call to any phone number so this is useful for thosewho don’t have a mobile phone yet
Note: I would prefer using the SMS orAutomated voice message option because it can be really time consuming to findthe Authenticator app and launch it again and again, scanning the QR code and soon
5. In order to receive a confirmation via SMS or Automatedvoice message, click on the œOther ” Use another phoneoption
6. On this Set up your phone page, enter the details and testyour phone by clicking on the œSend Code button. You willreceive a code via SMS or Automated voice message (depends on your selection).Enter that code in the Code verification box and clickœVerify
7. Once you verified your phone, click œNext.Now you need to set up the backup option. The backup option is needed in caseyour phone is lost or stolen. You will be provided with backup codes requiredfor signing in if your phone is lost.
8. Take the print out or keep the screenshot of this page inyour computer and Tick mark œYes, i have a copy of my backupverification codes and click œNext.
9. You can add one more mobile number (if you want) which canthen be verified.
10. Click on the œTurn on 2-step verificationbutton and you are done.
How To Use 2-stepVerification
1. After successfully enabling the 2-step verification option,Go to your Gmail account in order to Sign-in (sign out if you are already signedin)
2. Enter your username and password (like always) and Clicksign in button
3. You will then be prompted to enter a code, which is tiedonly to a phone number you provided during the verification process. You canreceive this code on your phone using one of the Google Authenticator appsavailable for [color=#000000 size=2]Android[/color],[color=#000000 size=2]iPhone[/color], and BlackBerry,via SMS, or through a voice call (depends which option you selected when youenabled 2-step verification option)
4. Enter the code and you can tick mark the boxœRemember verification for this computer. In this case, yourverification code will be saved for this computer only for 30 days. ClickœVerify and you are now logged In.
Note: Choosing the œRemember setting isentirely œoptional but you may want to utilize this setting on the home computerto avoid spending too much time logging in with the two step verification codeagain and again. For all other computers e.g Office computers, collegeor internet cafes, you should not use the œRemember setting at all. Recommended
5. If you don’t remember the verification code that’s sent toyour mobile device, no need to panic. You can always request a fresh code usingthe link œGet a new verification code (as shown in abovescreenshot) and let Google send an SMS message to your phone or make a voicecall to you.
- If you can’t find the œUsing two stepverification link in your Google Account settings page or yourcountry name at the Set up your phone page, then don’t worry,this feature will be rolled out across all users and the link should appearshortly.Use only that phone number which you are always carrying itwith you. Keep the backup codes at some private place. Incase you lostyour mobile, then this information is indeed required. You can provide backup phone details of someone whom you cantrust for example any family member (Not a wifeOFCOURSE)
Google’s two step verification is indeed a nice step towardsenhanced Gmail security. And i recommend every user to enable it to give youremail account a bullet proof security. Do share your comments and suggestionsabout this new security at below page commentingsection.