1. Finger print of every person is unique, that is, no two persons have same finger print
2. Finger print does not change with time. Human face changes with dress up, hairstyle, age and artificial makeups. So, photo of human face is not useful in the long run.
3. Finger print is very easy and less time consuming to take. Someone needs only some ink to imprint his fingerprint. Whereas, photography is complex and time consuming
4. Cost of Finger Print is really minimal.
5. Scanning of Finger Print is easy.
6. Matching of Finger Print is easy. In automated computerized system, does not need manual assistance at all. But matching of photography is really hard thing and direct human viewing is required most of the times.
7. Finally, photography of human is harwaam and finger print is allowed in Islam.
So, in all respects, avoid using photo for detection and security, rather use finger print which far more dependable, accurate and ensure practical security.
Discard using photo of human face in ID card, rather use finger print.